Monday, June 3, 2013

Errrrrrr…If You Can’t Handle ‘Thrones’ Stick to Disney Cartoons!


Well, at least social media is good for one thing: sharing with cohorts assorted propensities to barf after watching an intense episode of Game of Thrones  – as televised last night.  Evidently, as reported on salon.com, much of the Twitter-sphere went nuts and many tweeters tried to outdo each other in the degree to which they were vomiting after the butchering of the Starks by Walder Frey. Some of the tweets that erupted after the show:


i hope satan comes to walder frey and lord bolton while they're asleep and drag them to hell


NOBODY WATCH GAME OF THRONES ITS HORRIBLE AND IT WILL MAKE YOUR SOUL CRUSH INTO PIECES AND YOU'LL BE FOREVER CRYING

Having a deep Game of Thrones-related depression and psychological distress-


i am 5000% done with game of thrones oh my god watching this series was the worst decision of my life


I wanted to tweet five minutes ago about watching this weeks game of thrones. BUT I COULDN'T BECAUSE I WAS SOBBING AN OCEAN OF TEARS


Game of Thrones literally just tore my heart out and stomped on it. I'm gonna throw up man.


Anyone else throw up after thrones? No just me?


IT'S BEEN HALF AN HOUR AND IM STILL THROWING UP


I'M SHAKING. I'M CRYING. I'M BROKEN NOW. ROBB STARK MY BABY



-------------
Ohh, Boo Hoo Hoo, and BWAAAAAAAAHAHAH! Get over it, Tweeters! It’s a fantasy series for god’s sakes, not a documentary of the Holocaust (which reactions would be fully justified as proportional to the stimulus) showing women and kids gasping for breath in the Auschwitz gas chambers. Besides which, if you’d actually READ the book as opposed to tweeting and facebooking 24/7 you’d have known this massacre was coming! Hence, not have been surprised.


No, I didn’t read the book (wifey did) but when I watch a fantasy TV series, or even something like ‘The Walking Dead’, I don’t mistake story lines for reality nor do I get so attached to characters that when they’re killed off I want to ‘vomit” or go into a depression! You vomit after food poisoning or getting a serious flu, not after watching a TV episode! You go into depression after your dad, brother or mom dies or you lose a job, not after a character is offed. (Actually, in the book, Robb Stark’s head is taken off and the head of one of the dead wolves is sewn onto the body which is then displayed publicly)

Look, ‘Thrones’ is a violent series, not for juvenile minds - for which I also include those whose emotions are easily manipulated by fantasy writers. But then those of us grounded in the reality community who are aware of what’s really going on in the world – the REAL world- know this. We are shaken by real human butchery and disasters, such as the needless, brutal deaths of all those crushed in Bangladesh at a cheap clothing factory because profiteers turned their heads. Or. The dozens of Afghan kids slaughtered in drone strikes. But those whose lives revolve around solipsist confections and twitter feeds aren’t likely to see beyond their social mirror worlds so can’t distinguish real world reactions from those to fantasy creations.


This is sad and to me, one more reason we need to relieve people of their Twitter and Facebook addictions and reconnect them to the real world. At least then, if they do become depressed or experience a vomit episode it will be induced by revulsion to real events in the real world and the suffering of flesh and blood people. As opposed to chraracters inhabiting a fantasy realm!


No comments: